Monday 5 February 2018

Stinky plant

My brother has been over from Aussie and is away again. Middle sister arrived the following day so it has been a bit of a busy time. This morning we, sis, youngest daughter and I, went in to the Dunedin Botanic Gardens to view the Corpse Plant as it is commonly called. It's botanical name is Amorphophallus titanum. We weren't sure that we would see it before it collapsed as it has already been open for two days but we were in luck. It was closing when we saw it and was past it's best and the stink had dissipated somewhat. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not as I would have liked to experience the whole shebang, stinking or not. Another time maybe.


This way.


Sis (in pink) talking to an attendant.


Corpse plant



We have also been to a Chinese opera 
but I'll tell you about that another time.

Until next time,
Diana

13 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds stinky for sure. Glad you are enjoying your company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen photos of that plant. Maybe I'll have to go see it sometime and smell it for myself. I can only imagine the odor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much yuck.

    I don't want to know what that smells like! ;-) aaaarghhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an impressive plant, smell or no smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! I have never heard of this plant, but I don't think I would want to go near it! LOL! Thanks for sharing. Praying for you and your little mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is huge. I expect they only flower once in a blue moon, or is that just coincidence.(giggle). Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is 10 years since this one last flowered :) Diana

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of such a plant!!
    Nice that you are getting some time with family members. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, that flower is HUGE! And a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to have some family time, even if it is a little 'stinky'! haha! That plant is amazing! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have one here also. They have a watch posted with a camera so you can know when to see it but I will pass on it. It has bloomed several times but not sure if it is the same plant.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's time like these when I wish I had no studied Latin.
    Its a huge plant isn't it?
    It's wonderful that you got to see that.
    I can't wait to hear about the Chinese opera. How exciting that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is certainly interesting. I never heard of the corpse plant. I need to look that one up. Thank you for sharing it with us. I guess I should be glad we can't "scratch and sniff" these pages! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you