Sunday 15 January 2017

A flying visit

At the beginning of the week we decided it was time to have a break away for a couple of days so we set off later in the week and headed south. Back to Southland where we lived when we were first married. This is where two of our babies were born and life was happy and uncomplicated. Life is still happy but a bit more complicated but I guess that happens with age and families. We booked accommodation in Invercargill, very comfortable serviced apartments just out of the CBD - everything within walking distance, shops, theatres, cafes etc.


We took a drive down to Bluff, which was where we had actually lived. Bluff is the port that services Invercargill and Southland. It is summer but it was a cold, blustery, squally day. The photo above is me standing at the signpost at Stirling Point between squalls. Hundreds of people head here to get their photo's taken under the signpost, we took some for an Indian family and there were Chinese tourists there as well. 


My GKB taking photos of the lighthouse across the harbour mouth.


This is the lighthouse on Dog Island, one of the tallest in the country and it guards the entrance to Bluff harbour.


Both of us had only ever been up to the top of Bluff Hill once and that was many moons ago, so we decided it was time for another look. On one side you could see the road back to Invercargill with a small wind farm in the centre left of the picture. I was quite amazed as I didn't realise what a narrow isthmus connected Bluff to the rest of the South Island. That is the harbour on the right and Foveaux Strait on the left. The wind farm is above Foveaux Strait. The small cluster of buildings in the centre is the abattoir or meat works, or 'the works' as they are known in New Zealand.


Turning to the left you look out over Foveaux Strait and on a good day you can just make out Stewart Island/Rakiura.  This was not a good day and that is not Stewart Island/Rakiura in the mist and cloud.


I decided to walk up to the top of the lookout and left my GKB behind. Boy it was breezy. I was almost blown over at the top and had a hard time keeping my balance, hence one very bad picture of Bluff taken in a great hurry. My hands were white by the time I got back down to the car, the wind comes straight up from the antarctic with only Stewart Island in between. Slightly cold and gloves in the car :) Time for us to head back down the hill and find somewhere for a hot drink.

I hope you've enjoyed my little nostalgic trip back into my past and weren't too bored. I must say we enjoyed it :)

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely getaway, in a lovely place. I enjoyed coming along with you in a virtual way, thank you for taking me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to visit your old home. We went back to Oak Ridge Tennessee where we lived when we were newlyweds and it looked so different. We had a hard time finding our way around!! That is a pretty view and I am glad the wind did not blow you away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to go back and visit places where we've lived before.
    Looks quite chilly but beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have a little nostalgic get away like that. Sorry it was a bit chilly though. Hopefully, the trip recharged your batteries a little. Happy New Year, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful that you could make that nostalgic journey! It does look chilly and cloudy in your photos. I'm glad you didn't blow over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place! I am so thankful you had such a lovely time! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very interesting to be shown a different part of the world. It looks cold and blustery but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be nice to go back in our memories. Nice to see the place where we lived:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little trip for you! The scenery is beautiful! It is my dream to visit down under someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, gorgeous views and scenery! Looks like a lovely trip! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely place you got to go to!
    Your photos of the scenes are very nice.
    Chaka and I like the sound of 'Dog Island' :)
    Have a Happy Weekend!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you