Friday 24 June 2016

Arrowtown

I have just been away again. I know, I know, but with my
 GKB this time. We just arrived home this afternoon
 and I wanted to join Amy and friends for Five on Friday
 so here are a few photos of Arrowtown which is where 
we stopped for lunch on the way back yesterday. It is at a high altitude, up in the mountains, and so of course is very 
cold in winter with usually a lot of snow.
It is a pretty little town but very oriented to tourism
 and the mighty dollar, unfortunately

The main street and commercial centre
Arrowtown is built on the bank of
 the Arrow River and was a goldrush town.

Down a level to the carpark and back of buildings
There are a lot of new buildings going up on the outskirts but the main centre is mainly original with modern businesses in them.

Some of the original cottages
Unfortunately too, traffic is allowed to drive up
 the main street, it was built for bullock teams
 and carts, not today's modern vehicles.

winter foliage across the river
There was a large Chinese community here during 
the goldrush and there is the remains of their living 
quarters and accommodations along the river 
bank from where the lowest level of the carpark now is.

looking over the lower carpark to the Arrow River
We never went yesterday but have visited before and it is very primitive and basic. Caves, or bivouacs dug out from under tree roots.  Or very basic shelters built from whatever 
was available. It's hard to imagine living in this way.
Very hardy men. You have to admire their diligence 
and dedication to their families in China.

I'm also joining Deb for 

Diana

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful...it is hard for me to believe it is winter "down under", smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice town, I like the last photo of the river!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting town! I can't imagine living in those conditions either. I'm just not made of hardy stock, I guess! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pretty little village now so I'm sure it must be stunning in growing season. Thanks for sharing it with us, I always love to see places I'll never get to visit in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great place to visit. The views look wonderful.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed your photos. It sounds like an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a beautiful place with an interesting history. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool place! Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very interesting, I can't imagine living in such harsh conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting and a nice place to visit. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. love towns up in snowy areas. I've dreamed all my life of living in one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting and pretty place, my friend. Thanks for giving us a peek :) Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing your Friday Five photos and reading your narrative, Diana. They reminded me of the village of Saugerties, NY, where I lived for fifteen years on the west bank of the Hudson River. The history of the area was completely different, but the trees on the Catskill Mountains looked very much the same in the winter time. Happy weekend to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing different places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a very pretty town.
    Thank You for the photos of your trip.
    I love looking at different places.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks rather like some of the gold rush towns out in California. They also had lots of Chinese workers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arrowtown looks like a very interesting town ... lots of history. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goldrush towns hold a lot of history. Those who came from afar were not always very well treated.
    Arrowtown is in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful to be able to travel by way of the camera lens of a fellow blogger. Enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like a really interesting place to visit! Beautiful summer delights! I am sorry to be so late visiting, we had a minor domestic drama yesterday - nothing serious in the end, all ok - but I didn't get a change to do any blogging. Thank you so much for taking part in Five On Friday, I do appreciate it! Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely get away Diana. I am just catching up with my favorite bloggers after a trip to the shore. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just my kind of place. I would enjoy seeing Arrowtown.
    What a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love seeing this interesting place! Nice to hear about the history, too. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an interesting post! Thank you so much for sharing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you